Lady Gaga: 'Cocaine was my friend when I was lonely'

May 5, 2012 11:11

'Born This Way' singer says she took drug to try and fill void

Photo Gallery: Lady Gaga
Photo: PA

Lady Gaga has revealed that she used to take cocaine to help her cope with her loneliness and that the drug used to be her "friend".

The 'Born This Way' star has discussed her drug habits in the past, and last July denounced cocaine as "the devil". But according to Rolling Stone, the singer revealed on US TV show The Conversation With Amanda de Cadenet that she had previously used the narcotic to try and fill the "void" inside her.

Gaga, who claimed she was "very depressed" when she was 19, revealed: "I would go back to my apartment every day and I would just sit there. It was quiet and it was lonely. It was still. It was just my piano and myself. I had a television and I would leave it on all the time just to feel somebody was hanging out with me."

Speaking about how her isolation led her to develop a cocaine habit, she added:

It was like the drug was my friend. I never did it with other people. It's such a terrible way to fill that void, because it just adds to that void, because it's not real.


However, the singer said she had eventually realised she was on a destructive path and was killing her creativity. "I sort of fucking woke up one day and was like, 'You're an asshole. You're not an artist,'" she said. "If you were a real fucking artist, you'd be focused on your music. You wouldn't be spending your money on the white devil."

Last month, Lady Gaga kicked off her 'Born This Way Ball' with a controversial gig in Se! oul, Sou th Korea. Authorities banned anyone under the age of 18 attending the gig, as the content of the show was deemed unsuitable for children. The 'Born This Way Ball' world tour comes to the UK later this year, beginning with two dates at London's Twickenham Stadium (September 8-9).

Visit NME Video for the latest music videos and artist interviews

Lady Gaga Tickets

Date/TimeVenueTown/CitySeeticketsViagogoSep 08, 2012 19:00Twickenham StadiumLondon

Tickets not currently available.

Sep 09, 2012 14:00Twickenham StadiumLondon

Tickets not currently available.

Sep 11, 2012 19:30Manchester ArenaManchester

Tickets n! ot curre ntly available.

Comments